Common Personnel Actions

This page and the Processing Forms page are intended to complement each other. This is a reference of what needs to be done to process various member actions; the Processing Forms page speaks directly to how to process various forms. As with other guidance on this site, the information here represents best practices for processing various actions.

Personnel Files

One of the Personnel Officer's primary responsibilities is maintaining personnel files for unit members. Personnel files may be electronic or paper, but a file must exist for each member. Per CAPR 39-2 para 1.7, e-Services may be used to supplement information in member files and a member's personnel file need not duplication information in e-Services, but e-Services itself is not an acceptable replacement for a personnel file because it doesn't contain all of the needed information. All members MUST have a personnel file in addition to the information in e-Services.

When placing copies of documents such as the CAPF12, CAPF31, DD-214, etc. in a member's personnel file, you should remove sensitive information such as the Social Security Number. (It's required on the initial member documents sent to National Headquarters, but it's recommended that it be removed on record copies in the interest of security.)


Awards are one of the most important aspects of a Personnel Officer's job, because they are the only tangible means of recognizing the hard work of our members. That said, it's a lengthy topic, so it's described on its own page.

Committee Assignments

While committee assignments can be done via Personnel Action as described in CAPR 10-3; however, common committees can be assigned in e-Services. Log into e-Services then go to Personnel, select the Duty Assignment application, then select Assign Committees.

Duty Assignments

Use the Duty Assignment module in e-Services to assign standard unit duties. While these can be done via CAPF2a, that form would need to be sent to National Headquarters for the member to be granted permission to use necessary modules in e-Services. Once someone is assigned via the Duty Assignment module, they gain access to the e-Services applications the need immediately. Log into e-Services, select Personnel, then select the Duty Assignment module. Then select Assign Senior Duties or Assign Cadet Duties (whichever is appropriate) to make the assignment.

Occasionally, a unit may have a duty that is not covered in e-Services. To make an assignment to such a duty you'll need to complete a CAPF2a or a Personnel Authorization as described in CAPR 35-1 paragraph 1-3.

Member Promotions

Due to the variety of methods of promotion and the varied support information needed for various methods, processing promotions is potentially one of the most complex member actions. Since the topic is lengthy, it's discussed in detail on a separate page.


Transfers are initiated by the gaining unit; that is, the unit into which the member is transferring. Use the Transfers module in e-Services (it's part of the Member System application). SPECIAL NOTE: Per TNWG Supplement 1 to CAPR 39-2, DO NOT transfer members to TN-000 without first consulting with your Group Commander and the Wing Commander, Vice Commander, and Personnel Officer.

PD Courses, Encampment, and Other Special Activities

Activity directors have the option of using CAP Forms 17 and 31 for senior and cadet activities, respectively. The necessary approval is normally up to the activity director. In general, Wing-level PD courses only require unit commander approval and Region/National Staff College require Wing Commander approval. For the CAPF31, typically Group Commander approval is needed if the activity is out of the group and Wing Commander approval is needed if the activity is out of the region. Again, do as directed by the activity director.

Unit Charter Certificates

To obtain a copy of your unit's charter certificate, contact Note that the date on the certificate will be the day it was printed, not the original charter date of the unit.